Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
- Private institution
- 1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Kunigami-gun, Okinawa, Japan 904-0495
- Student Support Section
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Total number of students
- 79 (63 from overseas) as of 2015
- Admission fee: 0 for 2016
- Tuition fee: 540,000 yen for 2016 (Tuition is covered by OIST.)
Facilities and support programs for all students
- Financial Support — Research Assistantship
- Financial support of ¥2.4 million (taxable) per year is provided for each year of approved full-time study, an amount sufficient to ensure a comfortable standard of living.
Course fees will also be covered. Students additionally receive support for relocation to Okinawa, a personal computer and financial support for educational travel and conference attendance.
- OIST provides unparalleled opportunities for cross-disciplinary research due to its non-departmental structure. In the first year, students rotate through three different research units (one is from outside the applicant's field). In the second year, students develop their thesis proposal in their chosen research unit.
- Excellent accommodation is provided in an area called the Campus Village, which is situated on a lake and surrounded by natural forest on a hillside overlooking subtropical beaches.
- Child care Service
- An excellent Child Development Center is available on campus, providing care for children from 2 months of age.
- Career Development Support
- A dedicated Career Development Coordinator provides career guidance and training to advice on your career.
Conducting cutting-edge, fundamental research in science and technology, OIST is looking worldwide for students who will push the frontiers of knowledge.
The OIST Graduate University offers an individualized Ph.D. program providing a secure foundation in the fundamentals of your field, with unparalleled opportunities for cross-disciplinary research. We recognize every student as a unique individual and take this into account in the design of each student's program. Alongside established courses we offer independent study with world-class faculty members who provide teaching at the most advanced levels, special topics of current interest and participation in world-renowned OIST international workshops as part of the program.
About 50 cutting-edge laboratories form the hub of the OIST Graduate University, conducting research in a range of fields, including physics, chemistry, mathematics, marine sciences, neuroscience, and life sciences. The absence of a departmental structure, along with leading research within each discipline, promotes science without borders. Students are admitted to the program rather than an individual laboratory. In the first year, students rotate through three different research units, before making their choice of a thesis lab. From the beginning, students work side-by-side with world-class faculty and researchers in well-equipped laboratories, learning research by doing research.
The academic year runs September through August. Language training is available in the preadmission period (April-September). All students receive an internationally competitive support package and subsidized on-campus housing. Research funding is secure for all research units due to internal subsidy funding for research.
We are looking across the globe for students who will flourish in an atmosphere of encouragement for discovery and innovation. Our intake is limited to about 20 students per year. Selections are made on the basis of on-site interviews at the OIST Graduate University in Okinawa. Applications can be made at any time.
Message from the President
Dr. Jonathan Dorfan
The educational vision of the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) Graduate University is simple: assemble a carefully selected group from among the very best international science and technology graduate students to work side by side with world-class faculty in modern, well-equipped laboratories; and provide an environment that emphasizes creativity, that provides an individualized graduate training and that fosters cross-disciplinary opportunities.
All students receive an internationally competitive support package and on-campus housing. Creativity is stimulated by the location of the campus in an area of exceptional natural beauty.
Studying at OIST imbeds students in a truly international environment in which more than half the students, faculty and researchers come from outside Japan. OIST is rapidly becoming a hub in the international network of scientists, as evidenced by the constant and abundant stream of visiting scientists and the establishment of strong partnerships with leading universities and research institutions worldwide.
The OIST student intake is small and highly competitive. We are looking across the international academic landscape for the very best students, in particular those who will flourish in an atmosphere of encouragement for discovery and innovation.
I hope to be working with you at OIST.
Departments and Faculties
OIST does not have traditional academic departments, but you can visit the website of each department to learn more about our faculty members, their disciplines and or research topics.