- Private institution
- 3-34-1 Nishi-Ikebukuro,Toshima-ku,Tokyo,171-8501
- Total number of students
- 20,611 (728 from overseas) as of 2016
- Admission fee: ¥200,000 at the year of 2015
- Tuition fee: ¥785,000 - ¥1,085,000 at the year of 2015
- Other: ¥291,000 - ¥496,500 at the year of 2015
Facilities and support programs for international students
- Rikkyo University offers several different scholarship programs to provide financial and academic support to international students.
- Tution Reduction Program
- Rikkyo University offers tuition reductions for privately - financed international students with "College Student" resident status who face financial difficultes pursuing university education.
- Ikebukuro Library
- The Ikebukuro Library is one of the largest university libraries in Japan, providing enough space to hold 2 million books,and it has 1,520 seats for users.
- Obtaining a Copy of the Admission Guideline
- The admission guidelines for both undergraduate and graduate admissions are only available on the Rikkyo University website to be downloaded for free. The applications for the undergraduate program and the Graduate School of Business can be submitted online.
- Center for Japanese Language Education
- The Center for Japanese Language Education has established nine levels of Japanese language courses, each with content to improve foreign students Japanese while also matching their needs and interests.
An Academy of Freedom
In 1874, Rikkyo University started its history as Rikkyo School, a small boarding school teaching English language and Bible studies. Founded by an American Episcpal missionary, Bishop Channing Moore Williams, the School provided the education through the curriculum emphasizing Christian teaching and liberal arts. Nearly 140 years later, Rikkyo University today has retained its tradition of education based upon humanistic values and Christian concern for others. Based on the founding principle of "Pro Deo et Patria" (For God and nation), the University has thrived and taught generations of students.
Rikkyo University is an academy of freedom. Freedom is an inseparable part of our educational philosophy, where students are encouraged to make their own path. We support students to develop and follow their own interests, giving them every chance to explore and make the most of themselves.
Rikkyo University welcomes students and faculties from different countries and differnt cultural backgrounds. Our campus offers a cosmopolitan environment where students interact with people of differing values and opinions. It's a place where students learn to think for themselves and have the opportunity to expand their international network;a network that will benefit them for years to come.
Rikkyo encourages students to pursue their interests and goals through both a general and a specialized curriculum. Our liberal arts education reaches far beyond major-specific studies, helping our students develop comprehensive thinking skills and interpersonal communication abilities.
College of International Communication
Why I chose to study at Rikkyo University
The reason I wanted to get into Rikkyo was simple: I wanted to study in the department called "Intercultural Communication". The surroundings and the atmosphere was so amazing that I decided to choose Rikkyo. I gained a lot of experience that I could never get in my home country and I learned many new things every day. I was so thankful and grateful for the people here, not only local friends, people like me who are studying abroad in Japan, and, of course, the - professors. They warm-heartedly welcomed me despite my lack of Japanese. Especially when it came to writing reports in Japanese, it was really tough at first, but there are so many facilities that help a lot when writing reports.
I'm currently studying about the relationship between Japan, China and Korea. This is the thing that I never thought I will be interested in, but after listening to the lectures, I have had a chance to know more about the three different, but sharing amazingly many similarities, countries. Moreover, I became to know what I want and know more about myself during the studies.
In the future, I would like to talk to and know more about people who have different backgrounds. Studying at Rikkyo is marvelous, and because of that I might try another journey to study abroad again.
Departments and Faculties
- College of Arts
- The college aims to enhance student's ability to capture the true essence of humanities by teaching them to ponder questions of "human culture," such as linguistics, education, and language arts, through philosophy, history, poetry, literature, and literary criticism.
- Department of Christian Studies
- Department of Letters
- Department of History
- Department of Education
Web site: http://english.rikkyo.ac.jp/academics/undergraduate/arts/
- College of Intercultural Communication
- Students will acquire a working knowledge of English and one other foreign language(German, French, Spanish, Chinese, or Korean)and will build on that knowledge to study the globalized world of the 21st century and its newly emerging social problems from the perspectives of language, communication, and culture.
- Department of Intercultural Communication
Web site: http://www.rikkyo.ac.jp/ibk/english/
- College of Economics
- Today's society is evolving at unprecedented speed. This college helps students not only acquire economic knowledge but also develop the skills that are needed in society today, such as the ability to put their knowledge to use in real-world applications.
- Department of Economics
- Department of Economics Policy Studies
- Department of Accounting and Finance
Web site: http://english.rikkyo.ac.jp/academics/undergraduate/economics/
- College of Business
- By helping students understand the economic functions and social roles of global corporations and teaching them about various fields of business, such as marketing and corporate strategy, the college aims to nurture future business leaders who are capable of making important contributions to society.
- Department of Business
- Department of Global Business
Web site: http://cob.rikkyo.ac.jp/en/
- College of Science
- The college aims to develop student's logical-thinking and problem-solving capabilities by equipping them with basic knowledge and perspectives of natural science. By doing so, it provides students with the ability to excel in today's knowledge-oriented society, where knowledge is the most important key resource.
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Life Science
Web site: http://english.rikkyo.ac.jp/academics/undergraduate/science/
- College of Sociology
- The college takes a comprehensive look at today's increasingly complex problems related to humanity, society, communication, the media, culture, and the environment, all from the perspective of sociology.
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Contemporary and Society
- Department of Communication and Media Studies
Web site: http://english.rikkyo.ac.jp/academics/undergraduate/sociology/
- College of Law and Politics
- The college prepares students to acquire the ability that is needed in today's world filled with complex systems and organizations and global-scale changes, that is the ability to assess a situation, track the source of a problem and propose solutions, from the perspectives of law and politics.
- Department of Law
- Department of International Business Law
- Department of Politics
Web site: http://english.rikkyo.ac.jp/academics/undergraduate/law_and_politics/
- College of Tourism
- As tourism is becoming increasingly diversified and complex, the college aims to educate students to study tourism comprehensively, focusing on the three main areas of tourism studies-namely, tourism as a business, tourism in local communities, and tourism as a cultural phenomenon, so that they can understand the whole picture.
- Department of Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Department of Culture and Tourism Studies
Web site: http://www.rikkyo.ac.jp/tourism/english/
- College of Community and Human Studies
- A community is a social organization created by people who actively participate and interact with one another. From such a perspective of community fomation, students explore the new study of human services, which integrates various disciplines related to human welfare.
- Department of Community Development
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Sport and Wellness
Web site: http://english.rikkyo.ac.jp/academics/undergraduate/CH/
- College of Contemporary Psychology
- Mind and body are deeply interrelated, mutually supportive and constantly attuned to the environment surrounding environment. The college raises the question of what it means to be a human being within the context of the interrelationship between mind, body, and environment.
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Expression and Cinematic Arts
Web site: http://cp.rikkyo.ac.jp/en/