Home > Sports > Soccer
  print button email button

Monday, Oct. 12, 2009

Matsumoto stuns mighty Urawa

SUITA, Osaka Pref. (Kyodo) Holders Gamba Osaka came from a goal down to move into the third round of the Emperor's Cup with a 5-2 win over Ryutsu Keizai University on Sunday.

News photo
Hay students: Gamba's Hayato Sasaki hits an equalizing goal against Ryutsu Keizai University on Sunday. KYODO PHOTO

Kawasaki Frontale were the day's big winners as Chong Tese grabbed a hat-trick in a 6-1 demolition of non-league Renofa Yamaguchi, but Urawa Reds suffered a massive upset and were the only top-flight team to fall at the first hurdle, going down 2-0 away to regional qualifier Matsumoto Yamaga FC.

At Expo Stadium, Ryuta Hosokai fired Ryutsu into a 19th-minute lead but a fine finish from Hayato Sasaki put Gamba on level terms before Tomokazu Myojin made it 2-1 on 34 minutes, tapping in after Takuya Masuda failed to hold Sasaki's shot.

Pedro Junior doubled Gamba's lead but Takayuki Funayama reduced the arrears for the students six minutes before halftime when he got on the end of Hironori Ishikawa's cross at the far post.

Ryuji Bando scrambled home to make it 4-2 after his initial header from Akira Kaji's cross had come back off the post and Lucas wrapped up the win with an acrobatic fifth nine minutes from time.

"We conceded the opener but didn't panic and were able to relax after hitting back," said Gamba midfielder Takahiro Futagawa.

"We didn't have the right balance in defense but we were able to fix that problem and had more breathing space in the second half."

Urawa was shown the door in Nagano Prefecture as goals from Michiaki Kakimoto and Takuya Abe sent Matsumoto into the next round.

Hiroto Mogi hit a hat-trick as Vissel Kobe demolished Tokai University 5-0 and Sanfrecce Hiroshima won by the same scoreline at home to Japan Soccer College. J. League leaders Shimizu S-Pulse beat Sagawa Printing SC 2-0.

Kashima Antlers scraped past Arte Takasaki 1-0 thanks to Marquinhos' 79th-minute winner, and last year's beaten finalists Kashiwa Reysol needed penalties to see off JEF United Chiba Reserves 4-2 after a 0-0 draw. Oita Trinita prevailed 4-3 in a shootout after a 3-3 thriller against Yokogawa Musashino FC.

Back to Top

About us |  Work for us |  Contact us |  Privacy policy |  Link policy |  Registration FAQ
Advertise in japantimes.co.jp.
This site has been optimized for modern browsers. Please make sure that Javascript is enabled in your browser's preferences.
The Japan Times Ltd. All rights reserved.