|Advertising|Jobs 転職|Shukan ST|JT Weekly|Book Club|JT Women|Study in Japan|Times Coupon|Subscribe 新聞購読申込|
|Home > Sports > Soccer|
|Home > Sports > Soccer|
Saturday, Nov. 27, 2004
JEF Utd striker arrested on suspicion of rape attempt
Brazilian-born striker Sandro Cardoso Dos Santos is in police custody on suspicion of attempting to rape a Japanese woman visiting his home in May, an official said Friday.
Dos Santos, 24, who plays for JEF United Ichihara, and was previously a member of Brazil's under-21 team, was arrested by police on Tuesday and is being questioned after a woman in her 20s filed a complaint against him, Tokyo Metropolitan police spokesman Seiichi Watanabe said.
Dos Santos, who has not been charged with a crime, denied the accusation, JEF United Ichihara spokesman Eiichi Kondo said.
The club is cooperating with the police investigation, Kondo added.
Police said the unidentified woman got drunk at Dos Santos's house in Ichihara city, east of Tokyo. There, he allegedly tried to rape her, Watanabe said.
Dos Santos joined JEF United in January 2003 from South Korean side Suwon Bluewings, where he was the K. League's leading scorer in 2001 with 17 goals in 33 matches.
He is currently the J. League's fifth top scorer with 10 goals in 26 matches this season.
Juventus drug trial
ROME (AP) A judge on Friday convicted a Juventus club doctor for administering banned substances to the team's players during the 1990's, while acquitting the club's chairman, news reports said.
Turin Judge Giuseppe Casalbore handed down a jail term of a year and ten months to club physician Riccardo Agricola, while acquitting chairman Antonio Giraudo, news agencies ANSA and Apcom said.
Prosecutors had alleged that Juventus players were regularly supplied with drugs, including the banned hormone EPO, during four seasons between 1994-1998. The defendants had denied any wrongdoing.
The trial involves one of Italy's most successful soccer clubs. The decision comes six years after allegations by then AS Roma coach Zdenek Zeman triggered judicial inquiries.
F.A. hires Barwick
LONDON (AP) England's Football Association appointed television boss Brian Barwick as its new chief executive late Thursday, three months after a sex scandal forced out his predecessor.
Barwick was one of three candidates interviewed for the post Thursday. Barwick will quit his job as controller of ITV Sport to take up the position on Jan. 31 next year.
Barwick has been employed by ITV, one of Britain's five main television channels, since February 1998, working on soccer's 1998 World Cup and helping secure coverage of the Champions League and 2003 Rugby World Cup.
Before that, he was at the British Broadcasting Corp. for 18 years. There he held several key roles involving soccer, including directing the 1990 and 1994 World Cup coverage. He was also editor of the soccer program "Match of the Day" and a producer of "Football Focus."
"We had a very strong shortlist of candidates, but in Brian we have found an exceptional individual with the qualities and experience to lead a talented team of people at the F.A.," the association's chairman Geoff Thompson said.
"The F.A. is committed to the continued development of the game at every level, the highest standards of governance and the successful redevelopment of Wembley Stadium."
The other candidates were Richard Bowker, a former head of Britain's strategic rail authority, and an unidentified business executive.
Barwick said that Thursday had been a "momentous day".
"I am looking forward to taking up the challenge of leading the FA into their next era," he said.
The F.A. has been without a chief executive since Aug. 1, when Mark Palios quit after a sex-scandal involving himself, England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson and F.A. secretary Faria Alam embroiled the organization.
Palios quit after his position came under pressure with reports that F.A. officials had attempted to protect him at the expense of Eriksson over their affairs with Alam.