Home > Sports > Soccer
  print button email button

Saturday, July 2, 2011

K-League threatened with closure

AP

Seoul — The South Korea government will shut down the K-League if multiple teams are involved in any more match-fixing scandals.

Vice Sports Minister Park Sun Kyoo issued the warning in a meeting with league officials on Thursday, his ministry said in a statement on Friday.

Park and senior soccer officials agreed to close down the 28-year-old league if several teams are linked with any new match-fixing scandals from Friday, the ministry said.

Park also threatened to expel a club from the K-League if its players are found to have received kickbacks in return for attempting to rig results.

Last month, South Korean prosecutors indicted 10 K-League players in the scandal. A former K-League midfielder, who allegedly worked as a broker, was found dead in an apparent suicide in late May.

Also on Friday, the Korea Football Association said in a statement that it has decided to permanently ban the 10 indicted players from all types of soccer-related posts, including coaching and refereeing, in South Korea.



Back to Top

About us |  Work for us |  Contact us |  Privacy policy |  Link policy |  Registration FAQ
Advertise in japantimes.co.jp.
This site has been optimized for modern browsers. Please make sure that Javascript is enabled in your browser's preferences.
The Japan Times Ltd. All rights reserved.