|Advertising|Jobs 転職|Shukan ST|JT Weekly|Book Club|JT Women|Study in Japan|Times Coupon|Subscribe 新聞購読申込|
|Home > Sports > Soccer|
|Home > Sports > Soccer|
Friday, Oct. 15, 2010
Wenger may join PSG after Arsenal
PARIS (AP) Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger is not ruling out a move to French League club Paris Saint-Germain once he finishes his days with the Gunners.
Wenger told Wednesday's edition of Le Republicain Lorrain newspaper that he would consider a move back to France in the future.
"It's not impossible, but it would not be in a coaching role," Wenger said when asked about a possible position at PSG.
PSG has won three French titles but has been struggling to avoid relegation recently, but Wenger said he believes the club has the potential to bounce back.
"PSG is the only club in the world which is based in an area of 10 million inhabitants and doesn't have any competition (in the area)," Wenger said. "But in Paris, people think that changing the coach can solve problems. But what needs to be done is to get a group of investors around the table and to provide the club with some financial muscle."
Wenger joined Arsenal in 1996 following spells at Nancy, Monaco and Nagoya Grampus Eight. The 60-year-old signed a new contract in August, tying him to the Gunners until 2014.
Wenger said he is not ready to leave Arsenal and wants to win more trophies with the North London club.
"(My ambitions) are quite simple: to win everything: the Cups and the league title," he said.
Wenger has won three league titles with Arsenal and has guided the club to two League and Cup doubles, but has not won anything since the F.A. Cup five years ago. However, he pointed to Arsenal's financial position as one of his successes.
"Yes, but I would answer you that Arsenal is capable, every season, to play at the highest level without losing 200 million euro every year," Wenger said. "This is not the case with all my colleagues in England and Europe."
ROME (AP) Police investigating rioting at the Italy-Serbia game have detained 17 people, including the alleged ringleader, and UEFA warned that sanctions against Serbia could include disqualification from the European Championship or exclusion from future competitions.
The match in Genoa on Tuesday was abandoned after seven minutes when Serbia fans threw flares and fireworks onto the field, burned a flag and broke barriers. Violent clashes continued through the night, injuring 16 people, including two policemen.
UEFA opened an investigation Wednesday and its disciplinary panel will hear the case on Oct. 28.
Police found the alleged instigator of the rioting in the trunk of a bus that was to take the Serbian fans home from the Euro 2012 qualifier. While his face was covered by a mask during the violence, police identified him by the tattoos on his arms and found explosive material in his possession.
Genoa police official Sebastiano Salvo identified the ringleader as 30-year-old Ivan Bogdanov, who climbed onto a barrier separating fans from the field, used a wire cutter to slice apart a mesh fence and launched fireworks onto the field.
Bogdanov didn't say anything when he was arrested and was being held in a Genoa jail under accusations of causing violence and damage and resisting arrest, Salvo said, adding that 600 pieces of fireworks and explosives were found in four bags inside the bus holding Serbian fans.
Serbian media reported that Bogdanov has a criminal record, including drug possession. He leads one of the most notorious Red Star Belgrade fan groups.
Of the 17 people detained, 16 were Serbian fans and one was an Italian, Salvo said.
LONDON (AP) Chelsea says Yossi Benayoun will undergo surgery on his torn Achilles' tendon next week, ruling him out for six months.
The Israel midfielder was diagnosed with the injury while on international duty last week, and missed the games against Croatia and Greece.