Home > Sports > Soccer
  print button email button

Friday, Jan. 15, 2010

Adebayor not ready to return yet

LOME (AP) Emmanuel Adebayor is not ready to return to soccer as he struggles to come to terms with last week's deadly attack on the Togo team bus at the African Cup of Nations in Angola.

Togo's media officer died in Adebayor's arms last Friday in the Angolan region of Cabinda — one of three deaths in the gun attack, which led to the team pulling out of the tournament.

Adebayor is recovering back home in Togo and isn't contemplating returning to England for Manchester City's Premier League match against Everton on Saturday.

"If it meant going back tomorrow, I wouldn't be capable of giving everything that I've got," Adebayor said Wednesday in an interview with SNTV.

"I will not be able to play that game," he added. "Even me standing on that pitch would be the worst thing that I could do because I am not 100 percent yet and I have to start training first, recover first from what happened. At the moment my head is not on football now. We are talking about lives — life is more important than football."

Man City has granted the 25-year-old Adebayor compassionate leave to stay with his family in Lome.

"At the moment, I can't even eat — I'm losing weight, which is very difficult for everyone," Adebayor said. "I will take time and I will come back on the pitch at the right time.

"And I think my boss (Roberto Mancini) and my team understand that is the most important thing. And they know I need time to recover from this."



Back to Top

About us |  Work for us |  Contact us |  Privacy policy |  Link policy |  Registration FAQ
Advertise in japantimes.co.jp.
This site has been optimized for modern browsers. Please make sure that Javascript is enabled in your browser's preferences.
The Japan Times Ltd. All rights reserved.