Home > News
  print button email button

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Kan defends helicopter trip to nuke site, denies it delayed key venting

Staff writer

Prime Minister Naoto Kan denied Tuesday that his visit to the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant on March 12, the day after the killer earthquake and tsunami hit the Tohoku region, delayed a crucial step to avert an atomic crisis.

News photo
Crisis control: Prime Minister Naoto Kan speaks at a meeting of the Upper House Budget Committee on Tuesday. KYODO PHOTO

Just after midnight on March 12, pressure in the No. 1 reactor rose to an extremely high level. To release the pressure and prevent an explosion, Tokyo Electric Power Co. needed to open the valves and release radiation-polluted gas.

But Tepco didn't start the ventilation process until 9:04 a.m. and pressure didn't lower until 2:30 p.m. Then at 3:36 p.m., a hydrogen blast blew up the No. 1 reactor building. Kan arrived at the plant by helicopter at 7:11 a.m. and stayed for an hour.

Media reports said the ventilation was delayed until 9 a.m. because Kan flew in by helicopter. The government claims it has been pushing Tepco repeatedly to hurry with the ventilation, but the lack of electricity delayed the process.

"It is not true that the visit delayed" the reactor's ventilation to release pressure, Kan told an Upper House Budget Committee session Tuesday.

Kan said he believed it was important to grasp what was happening at the scene. "Getting briefed from the person in charge and meeting him in person was very effective in mapping out a plan later."

We welcome your opinions. Click to send a message to the editor.

The Japan Times

Article 5 of 9 in National news

Previous Next

Back to Top

About us |  Work for us |  Contact us |  Privacy policy |  Link policy |  Registration FAQ
Advertise in japantimes.co.jp.
This site has been optimized for modern browsers. Please make sure that Javascript is enabled in your browser's preferences.
The Japan Times Ltd. All rights reserved.