Home > News
  print button email button

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Foreign medics get OK to come


Staff writer

The government was preparing Wednesday to receive medical help from abroad for the thousands injured by the massive earthquake and tsunami that hit the country's north.

Although it is illegal for doctors without Japanese medical licenses to practice, the health ministry has sent a notice to local governments in Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures saying the minimum necessary medical procedures may be taken by foreign doctors, given the unprecedented catastrophe.

According to a health ministry official, this was only the second time he was aware of that such a notice had been sent out. The last time was in 1995 after the Great Hanshin Earthquake, which claimed the lives of over 6,000 people.

Details were not available but the Foreign Ministry said it was coordinating with several countries, including Canada.

"We have received offers from countries who are looking to assist us in the medical field and Japan would like to actively seek their help," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Satoru Sato.

The doctors who have foreign medical licenses will be able to give treatment only in disaster areas, Sato said, adding that the doctors would likely be focusing on giving first-aid assistance to the injured.


Related links

Containment vessel failure unlikely: Edano

By KANAKO TAKAHARA and KAZUAKI NAGATA

Embassies list 400 foreigners as missing

By MASAMI ITO, JUN HONGO and NATSUKO FUKUE


We welcome your opinions. Click to send a message to the editor.

The Japan Times

Article 8 of 17 in National news

Previous Next



Back to Top

About us |  Work for us |  Contact us |  Privacy policy |  Link policy |  Registration FAQ
Advertise in japantimes.co.jp.
This site has been optimized for modern browsers. Please make sure that Javascript is enabled in your browser's preferences.
The Japan Times Ltd. All rights reserved.