|Advertising|Jobs 転職|Shukan ST|JT Weekly|Book Club|JT Women|Study in Japan|Times Coupon|Subscribe 新聞購読申込|
|Home > Entertainment|
Friday, July 9, 2004
Zoom in on Czech director's works
Director Jan Svankmajer has been called one of the Czech Republic's most influential contemporary filmmakers, and the Image Forum in Tokyo's Shibuya district will screen 32 feature films and shorts by this provocative surrealist from July 17 to Aug. 13.
Svankmajer was born in Prague in 1934. He started producing short animation films in 1964, interweaving live action with montage, hand-drawn animation, stop-motion animation, machine action and puppeteering, as well as inani- mate materials such as dolls, clay figures and industrial waste.
Milos Forman, another Czech director, said of him: "Disney plus Bunuel equals Svankmajer."
The films will be screened in programs A, B, C, D, E and F. These alternate throughout the festival and additional dates and screening times are listed on the Web site. The first screening dates for each program are:
* A (July 17-19) -- "Otesanek" (2000, 127 min.)
* B (July 17-19) -- "Conspirators of Pleasure" (1996, 83 min.)
* C (July 20-22) -- "Faust" (1994, 96 min.)
* D (July 20-22) -- Eight shorts (79 min.), including "The Death of Stalinism in Bohemia" (1990, 10 min.)
* E (July 23-25) -- Alice (1988, 84 min.)
* F (July 23-25) -- Eight shorts (90 min.), including "Dimensions of Dialogue" (1982, 12 min.)
* G (July 26-28) -- Six shorts (89 min.), including "The Fall of the House of Usher" (1980, 16 min.)
* H (July 26-28) -- Six shorts (91 min.), including "The Garden" (1968, 17 min.)
For a detailed schedule (Japanese only), visit www.imageforum.co.jp/svank
Advance tickets are 1,000 yen per screening available on the door or through Ticket PIA. There will also be 2,700 yen advance tickets good for three screenings, and a 5,000 yen pass. Same-day tickets will cost 1,200 yen.
Image Forum: 2-10-2 Shibuya, Shibuya-ku; (03) 5766-1119; for directions, see the map on the Web site www.imageforum.co.jp.