Home > Life in Japan > Features
  print button email button

Tuesday, Sept. 20, 2005


T-shirts, leave and a reminder

T-shirt exchange

"Get it Pumping!", "I'm a steel driving man," "Almost famous," and "New Kids on the Block world tour." Random English adverts on the train? An English lesson gone wrong?

Nope -- fun and funky T-shirts seen around Tokyo.

Laura writes to let us know about Tokyo's first-ever T-shirt exchange event.

The exchange takes place on October 2 from 3-6 p.m. at Diego Cafe in Shibuya.

A map is available at www.diegocafe.com/_access/pop_map.html

Entry fee is 1,000, yen with a one drink purchase required. This swap is open to both men and women, so those thinking of coming should grab their friends and bring a few T's down to the cafe.

This swap is for T-shirts only. Plain, high school, concert, juicy couture, brands, sport events, crazy kanji, etc. are all accepted.

Any logo, saying, color or year is accepted. Any remaining T-shirts will be donated to charity after the swap. If you have any questions, please contact Laura at your_clothes_friend@hotmail.com

Paid holidays

T.S. writes to thank the Community Page for our articles looking at labor issues in Japan. he has another question, which was not addressed in the articles.

That is, whether as a part time teacher at a "senmon gakko" (ten 90-minute classes over three days) he is entitled to pro rata annual paid leave.

He has been working at the school for nearly two years but neither he nor any of the Japanese part-time teaching staff receive it.

This year he began teaching concurrently at another senmon that does provide for annual leave in the contract. The provision in the contract states that "After having worked for the school for more than six months and having worked for more than 80 percent of all work days, the employee will be given paid leave based on the Labor Standard Law."

Since T.S. thinks it would be unwise to rock the boat if he intends to stay at the former school and especially in view of the fact that all the Japanese part-timers staff seem content with the situation, he was thinking it might be wiser to encourage one of the other foreign staff (who also have two years' service) and who has decided to leave next year to lodge a claim for backdated entitlement prior to his leaving.

T.S. is wondering how much annual paid leave he might be entitled to and if there is a formula to working the amount out.

A representative of the National Union of General Workers in Tokyo advises that, roughly speaking, those working less than 30 hours a week are eligible to "hirei-fuyo nenji-yukyu" (pro rata paid holidays).

The number of hours worked a day doesn't really matter. Those working three days a week get 5 days after 6 months, another 6 days after 18 months, another 6 after 30 months, another 8 after 42 months, another 9 days after 54 months, another 10 after 66 months and another 11 after 78 months -- then 11 days every 12 months.

Like all workers, newly earned "yukyu" must be used within 2 years of getting them and employees are free to take them when they please (though notice must be given).

A quick reminder

Just another quick reminder that Tokyo English Life Line (TELL) is accepting applications for the Telephone Counselors Training Program.

No prior counseling experience is needed as this course provides training in the skills required in this role.

Applicants must be fluent in English and over 21. For information and application forms visit TELL's Web site at www.telljp.com or e-mail lls.assist@telljp.com or call (03) 3498-0246.

Send your queries, questions, problems and posers to lifelines@japantimes.co.jp

Back to Top

About us |  Work for us |  Contact us |  Privacy policy |  Link policy |  Registration FAQ
Advertise in japantimes.co.jp.
This site has been optimized for modern browsers. Please make sure that Javascript is enabled in your browser's preferences.
The Japan Times Ltd. All rights reserved.