Home > Life in Japan > Features
  print button email button

Tuesday, June 29, 2004


Large clothes, scooters and passport help

Larger fashions

Susan has info on where to find larger-sized clothes for women. "You can find Ladies LL size at the Ito Yokado Store in Shinagawa Ward (Oimachi Line, Rinkai Line and Keihin Line). Dress shop 'Miharu' (3F; phone 03-5743-0306) stays open until 11 p.m." Car parking is free to buying customers. Miharu carries sizes 13-20 (Japanese size). They have suits, party dresses, jeans, T-shirts, camisoles, etc. Become a member and they'll even send you a card every so often to let you know about sales. Also there is a branch in Shinjuku MY CITY, also on the 3rd floor.

Used scooter

Deepak is looking to buy a used scooter in Tokyo. "Where is the best place to look?" Listings magazines are the best bet, though remember they do not take responsibility if a buy proves to be a dud. Tokyo's freebie Metropolis, published every Friday and easy to spot wherever English speaking/reading foreigners hang out or shop on a regular basis, has a cars/bikes column. You could also run a Scooter Wanted ad.

Embassy errors

Barry wants to relate his experience of applying for his daughter's first 10-year U.S. passport. "I followed the link provided in your April 27 column to the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo. The passport application information was helpful, but we found it contains two misleading statements:" "Proof of Your Citizenship. Citizenship is proven through an official birth certificate or naturalization/citizenship certificate, or a Consular Report of Birth." Barry then prepared the required document for his daughter's application, but found that at the Embassy, it was not requested. "How Long Does It Take? Processing time is about three weeks after we receive your application in good order, as all passport printing now must be done in the U.S." In fact, his daughter's new passport arrived by mail from the Embassy just one week after it was applied for. Careful inspection revealed it had been issued by the embassy in Tokyo, not the National Passport Center.

Japanese flag

Henry wrote recently from California asking for assistance. "My father, U.S. Army, has an old Japanese flag that was given to him during World War II while fighting in the Philippines, 1944-45." The flag, measuring 3'2" X 2'2" with a red rising sun and lots of Japanese writing all around, was given to Henry's father by a wounded Japanese soldier who later died. Henry has no idea what the writing means and is trying to locate someone who can read Japanese so "maybe I can find the soldier's family." Henry, there is a large Japanese community in California which is sure to be helpful. Ask at your local city hall and explain why you want to make contact. Or how about contacting the Japanese Embassy in the U.S., and asking staff for contacts.

Send your queries, questions, problems and posers to: lifelines@japantimes.co.jp

Back to Top

About us |  Work for us |  Contact us |  Privacy policy |  Link policy |  Registration FAQ
Advertise in japantimes.co.jp.
This site has been optimized for modern browsers. Please make sure that Javascript is enabled in your browser's preferences.
The Japan Times Ltd. All rights reserved.